- University University of Coimbra: Degree in law in 1972 (graded 17/20 magna cum lauda); Assistant Professor, Law School (Political Science, Constitutional Law, Economic Organization Law), 1972-1977
- University of Lisbon: Professor (International Law and Political Science), 1978-1981
- High Council of Judiciary: Member, 1997-2001
- Portuguese Bar Association: National Council Member (1995/8); President (2002-2005)
- Human Rights Bar Association Institute (President - 2003-4)
- University Nova of Lisbon (Management and Economy School and Law School): Associate Professor since 2004
- University ISCTE (Lisbon) Energy MBA with Columbia University (NY): Visiting Professor since 2010
Current Professional Activities and Positions
- Name Name Partner of PLMJ-AMPereira, Saragga Leal, Oliveira Martins, Júdice & Associados, RL, since 1979
- Head of PLMJ Arbitration Group since its foundation
- Member of the Portuguese Bar Association, UIA, IBA, Associação Portuguesa de Arbitragem (President of Procedural Law and Practice Committee, 2006-2008, Member of the Board - International Relations - 2008 - ), Association Suisse de l'Arbitrage, Club Español del Arbitraje (First President of the Portuguese Committee - 2007-9), Comitê Brasileiro de Arbitragem
- European Lawyer and Iberian Lawyer - Editorial Board Member (since foundation of the magazines)
- Commercial Dispute Resolution Editorial - Board Member, since 2012
- Panel of Presidents for Labor Law Arbitrations of the Portuguese "Conselho Económico e Social" (2006-11)
- Associação Comercial de Lisboa (Portuguese Chamber of Commerce and Industry): Vice-President, since 2008
- Centre de Médiation de l'Europe, de la Méditerranée et du Moyen Orient: Member of the Board, since 2009
- ITA - Institute for Transnational Arbitration: Country Reporter for Portugal, since 2008
- Member of the Advisory Board of "Anuario Latinoamericano de Arbitraje" of the Peru Arbitration Institute (Peru)
- ICC Arbitration National Committee: Vice-President, since 2009
- ICC International Court of Arbitration: Member, since 2009
Rosters Of Arbitrators
- Portuguese Chamber of Commerce and Industry (Vice-President of the Board)
- Brazil-Canadá Chamber of Commerce
- Portuguese Chamber of Commerce in Brazil Panel of Arbitrators
- Oporto Commercial Association
- São Paulo Industrial Association Center (FIESP-CIESP)
- CIMA (Spain)
- Korean Arbitration Center
- ICSID Roster of Arbitrators and Conciliators
Professional Arbitration Experience
More than 35 years of experience in litigation and arbitration, covering almost all the fields of law (Public and Private Law, International Contracts and Investments, Corporate Law, Environment, Finance, Real Estate, Construction, Health, Energy, Concession contracts, Procurement, PPP's, Constitutional) .
As Counsel in Arbitration: more than 50 ad hoc, UNCITRAL, ICC, OHADA, ICSID and NAI, national and international arbitrations, since 1979 (telecommunications, construction and zoning, finance and banking, international contracts, agency and distributorship, investment disputes, oil, hotel and tourism, labor, shareholders agreements and corporate, industrial law, M&A).
As Arbitrator: more than 30 ad hoc/UNCITRAL and ICC, national and international arbitrations, as co-arbitrator, sole-arbitrator (1) and Chairman (19), submitted to Portuguese, Brazilian, Angolan, Spanish and International Law (telecommunications, construction, finance, international contracts, agency and distributorship, tourism, ppp's, investment disputes, banking and finance, pharmaceutical, oil, hotel management, BIT disputes, etc).
As member of the Board of Directors of Portuguese Arbitration Association, he has been one of the authors of the new Portuguese Arbitration Law.
- Publications: Capital Markets in Portugal (1994); Securities Law, Portuguese Chapter (1996); Takeover Portuguese Law (1996); various conferences and articles published in Portugal, Cap Verde, Brazil, Peru, Spain, Angola, South Korea, France, Argentina, USA on litigation and arbitration, investment treaties, oil and gas, construction, consumer law, class actions, public law, contracts, capital markets, business law, etc.
- Portuguese Arbitration Law - A commentary (2012)
- As Professor teaches now Arbitration and Dispute Resolution, Energy and Politics and Business Law
Portuguese, English, French and Spanish. Has already acted as President of international arbitration tribunals in which the language was one of the referred.